I don’t know about you, but every once in a great while I feel foggy in the head. Don’t get me wrong, most of the time I am juggling a myriad of tasks and I do just fine, but it’s just every so often that I get hit with brain fog.
They say the best way to age well is to keep our brains active, and for me that certainly isn’t a problem. I have enough going on to keep 5 brains active, and I am not complaining, I love it.
For some people though, being out of the work force, and because of various health issues, unable to volunteer or just participate in activities like they used to, can cause our brains to be underutilized. Just like any other part of our bodies, if you don’t use it you lose it.
So, what can we do to keep our brains sharp?
- Have conversations, talk to people. Even if you can’t go out, you can call a friend. Join one of the social media outlet, like Facebook or Instagram and follow people whose posts you find interesting.
- Exercise doesn’t have to be strenuous. Gentle stretching for 15 minutes a day, even if you sit in a chair. Then how about a little dancing. Put on one of your favorite tunes and dance around for a bit a couple of times a day.
- Hire a companion. If you can’t drive but you want to get out and about, hire a companion. It’s just one of the services we offer here at Coastal Concierge. It’s important for the body and the mind to be out in the fresh air, to perhaps take a shopping trip, or attend a play or concert.
- Start clearing the clutter. You know all those wonderful things you have been saving for your children and grandchildren. Guess what? They most likely don’t want them. Take one drawer each week and clean it out
- Get a tablet. They are easier to use than a computer. You can read books on them, check emails, read new stories and watch Ted Talks. There are great apps for exercising your brain on them. And you can see your Grandkids and Great Grandkids online.
- Get as much sleep as you can. Not everyone is able to sleep eight hours at a time, so sleep when your sleepy. If you are tired midafternoon, have yourself a nap. There are countries other than hours where a mid-day nap is taken for granted.
Remember, there are always options for making life better. Coastal Concierge offers several different types of care, all of which we do in order to make life better for you or your loved ones.